Chris AkinDownload One Page Bio
Chris Akin has almost 20 years of complex business litigation experience that includes a unique combination of significant plaintiff-side contingency fee engagements and high-profile defense engagements in the areas of oil and gas disputes, directors’ and officers’ liability lawsuits, and securities litigation. On the plaintiff side, in the last five years alone, Mr. Akin has been involved in multiple bankruptcy-related cases that have generated once-in-a-career type results for LPCH’s clients and the firm. In a high profile energy-related trial in 2014, Mr. Akin and his partners Mike Lynn and Jeremy Fielding comprised the trial team that obtained a jury verdict and final trial court judgment that have been described as the largest ever in Dallas County and one of the largest ever in North Texas. On the defense side, Mr. Akin has played a key role in LPCH’s successful representation of directors and officers in a multi-billion dollar dispute involving alleged securities fraud and the successful defense of a proposed $9 billion merger. Mr. Akin also has successfully represented directors and officers and major companies in a number of other substantial disputes.
Both sides of Mr. Akin’s family have an entrepreneurial background, and, in every matter, Mr. Akin strives to represent his clients in the way that he wishes his family had been represented in a lawsuit that occurred while he was a teenager. That approach requires Mr. Akin to ask himself the following question constantly: "What decision would I make if I were in my client’s position?” Mr. Akin believes that, if every attorney asked himself or herself the same question, the result would be improved responsiveness to clients and better results.
- Named as a Texas Super Lawyer for 2015-2016
- Listed as a “Rising Star” in Texas Law by Texas Monthly (2005-2009)
- Selected as a Top Business Litigator in the DFW area by the Dallas Business Journal in 2008
- University of Virginia, J.D., 1995
- Assistant Editor - Virginia Law Review, Order of the Coif, Roger & Madeleine Traynor Prize for Best Written Work by a Graduating Student
- University of Evansville, B.S., 1992
- Honorable Sidney A. Fitzwater, United States District Court for the Northern District of Texas
- Texas 1995
- U.S. District Courts for the Northern, Southern, Eastern and Western Districts of Texas
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit