“It is because of Mike Lynn’s initial creative thinking almost eight years ago, as well as the firm’s continuing creativity and dogged hard work, that we find ourselves as triumphant victors in what has clearly been the most hard-fought piece of litigation in the course of my career.”
- Steve Bennett, Former General Counsel, USAA
Mike LynnDownload One Page Bio
One of the best-known and most respected litigators in Texas, Mike Lynn brings unmatched experience to trying cases. He has tried to verdict more than 120 civil and criminal jury trials and handled over 100 non-jury, arbitration and injunction matters in his distinguished career, winning significant returns for his clients. Recently, Mike led a team of lawyers on behalf of Energy Transfer Partners to obtain one of the largest if not the largest verdict in Dallas-Fort Worth history ($940,000,000 verdict; $535,000,000 judgment).
In 2016, Lynn led his team of lawyers to obtain a $146,000,000 verdict for T. Boone Pickens. Mike, the founder of his firm, LPCH, believes one of the keys to his firm’s success is that “[w]e are an elite, highly-motivated group of business trial lawyers. We like to say that we are the ‘special forces of litigation.’ We are prepared, experienced, tough, relentless, and creative.”
Mike has also published numerous articles and is a frequent speaker on legal topics. He has taught law classes at Southern Methodist University, is active in a number of professional organizations, including the American Law Institute, has served as Co-Chair on a number of Committees of the American Bar Association, most recently The Federal Rules Task Force, and was co-editor of The Litigation Section’s Business Tort Jury Instruction Project, 2nd Edition. Mike served as Council Member on The Litigation Section of the ABA and presently is serving as Co-Chair Litigation Institute for Trial Training, Litigation Section, ABA.
In addition to his impressive legal triumphs, Mike hiked alone for about 700 miles of the Appalachian Trail in 2015 and kept a blog throughout his experience (tinmanonat.blogspot.com). He is married to the Honorable Barbara M.G. Lynn, United States Chief District Judge, Northern District of Texas. They have two children. He received his undergraduate degree from the University of Virginia and his law degree from Southern Methodist University.
- Mike has won over $1 billion in verdicts:
- $535 million judgment in ETP v. Enterprise (2014) on appeal to Supreme Court
- $146 million verdict in T. Boone Pickens case
- $3 million in 2017 for a Saudi Prince
- $33 million in 2017 in Env. Case
- A $25 million settlement in 2018 where he represented an operator against a private equity group
- Mike has defeated in trial over a billion dollars sought by Plaintiffs.
- Top 10 Litigation Boutiques in the nation by Benchmark Litigation in 2017, 2019
- One of five Texas law firms ranked Band 1 in Chambers USA 2017, 2018
- Honored as a Band 1 “Leader in His Field” 2017, 2018; Band 2 “Leader in His Field” 2012, and “Leader in His Field” 2009, 2010 in Chambers & Partners USA Guide to Leading Lawyers – General Commercial Litigation (Texas) Lawyers
- Recognized as one of the “Top 100 Trial Lawyers in the U.S.” by Benchmark Litigation for 2015-2019
- Listed as a “Litigation Star” by Benchmark Litigation from 2013-2018
- Defense Lawyer of the year, Dallas Business Journal
- Nations Defense Win of the Year awarded by National Law Journal (the only lawyer we know who has garnered this recognition twice)
- Listed as one of the “500 Top Litigators in America” by Lawdragon in 2006, 2010, 2011, and 2015
- Obtained the largest verdict in Dallas history, the largest in Texas and the third largest in the nation in 2014, as recognized by Verdict Search
- Obtained the largest verdict in Reeves County, Pecos, Texas in 2016
- “Best Lawyers in America” 2012-2018; Selected “100 Best Lawyers in Texas” 2014, 2018
- Named a “Texas Super Lawyer” consecutively since 2003, “Top 100 in Texas” 2014, 2016, and 2017, “Top 100 in DFW” 2009, 2011, 2012, 2014, 2016, and 2017
- Listed “Top Texas Verdicts” by Texas Lawyer in 2009
- Selection by the National Law Journal for the “Toughest Defense Win in US” for 1998 and 2002
- National Law Journal’s “Top Defense Win” 2002 (the only lawyer in Texas we know to have achieved this honor twice)