Widely recognized as one of the top appellate lawyers in Texas, David Coale’s diverse experience ranges from sophisticated constitutional issues in the United States Supreme Court to defense of a payphone operator before a Tarrant County Justice of the Peace. He is among the few lawyers to have handled a matter in all fourteen of the Texas intermediate courts of appeal, and is the only known Texas appellate lawyer who has been fictionalized in a romance-novel series as the lawyer for an outlaw motorcycle gang.
A frequent commentator on legal issues, David publishes 600camp.com, a popular blog about business cases in the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit, and 600commerce.com, a similar blog about the Dallas Court of Appeals and Texas Supreme Court. Recent media appearances have included National Public Radio, the Lincoln Project, Washington Post, USA Today, and U.S. News & World Report.
- Obtained complete reversal of a $1 million-plus judgment, entered after a jury trial, about an allegedly wrongful commercial eviction. Virtuolotry, LLC v. Westwood Motorcars, LLC, No. 05-19-01055-CV, 2022 WL 1769232 (Tex. App.—Dallas June 1, 2022, pet. filed).
- Obtained reinstatement of a dismissed case involving several thousand pilots’ losses from the grounding of the 737 MAX. SWAPA v. Boeing, No. 05-20-01067-CV, 2022 WL 951027 (Tex. App.—Dallas March 30, 2022, pet. filed).
- Obtained complete reversal of a $1 million-plus judgment in a landlord-tenant dispute. AMLI Downtown Austin, L.P. v. Peli Peli Austin, LLC, No. 03-20-00571-CV, 2022 WL 722762 (Tex. App.—Austin March 11, 2022, pet. denied).
- Obtained affirmance of a defense judgment in a multi-million dollar claim about processing electronic payments for a federal benefits program. Wal-Mart Stores, Inc. v. Xerox State & Local Solutions, Inc., No. 05-18-01421-CV (Tex. App.—Dallas Nov. 12, 2020, pet. granted)
- Successfully defended the denial of a TCPA motion to dismiss in a high-profile business defamation case. Marble Ridge Capital LP v. Neiman Marcus Group, Inc., 611 S.W.3d 113 (Tex. App.–Dallas 2020, pet. dism'd).
- Obtained affirmance of a take-nothing judgment in a multi-million dollar dispute about the development of an “energy tea” product line. Jacked Up, LLC v. Sara Lee Corp., 807 Fed. Appx. 344 (5th Cir. 2020).
- Successfully argued for the dismissal, on personal jurisdiction grounds, of a bellwether case asserting federal securities claims in state court. Venator Materials PLC v. Macomb County Employees’ Retirement System, No. 05-19-01177-CV, 2020 WL 289296 (Tex. App.—Dallas Jan. 21, 2020, no pet.)
- Obtained reversal of a “bet the business” case for a short-line railroad in the Texas Panhandle. BNSF Railway v. Panhandle Northern R.R., 946 F.3d 705 (5th Cir. 2020)
- Obtained substantial affirmance of a multi-million dollar judgment in an oil-and-gas case, Stephens v. Three Finger Black Shale P’ship, 580 S.W.3d 687 (Tex. App.—Eastland 2018, pet. denied).
- Obtained affirmance of a $3.5 million judgment in favor of a Saudi prince. Al-Saud v. YouToo Media, 754 Fed. Appx. 246 (5th Cir. 2018)
- Obtained reversal of a summary judgment in a major tire-failure case. Medina v. Michelin, No. 05-16-00794-CV (Tex. App.—Dallas Jan. 29, 2018, no pet.); recognized as “Appellate Lawyer of the Week“ by Texas Lawyer for this win
- Appellate counsel for the team that won a $135 million judgment in Mesa Petroleum Partners v. Baytech LLP et al., (Reeves County, Dec. 8, 2017)
- Appellate counsel for Energy Transfer Partners in its $550 million dispute with Enterprise Products Partners.
- Successfully affirmed the dismissal of claims against an attorney based in another state on personal-jurisdiction grounds. Hinduja Global Solution, Inc. v. Ganjae, No. 05-22-00052-CV, 2023 WL 179898 (Tex. App.—Dallas Jan. 13, 2023, no pet. h.)
- Named “Leading Appellate Attorney of the Year in Texas” by Acquisition International, 2022
- Honored as a “Leader in His Field” by Chambers & Partners USA Guide to Leading Lawyers – Appellate Litigation (Texas) Lawyers,
- Named “Lawyer of the Year” in DFW appellate law by Best Lawyers, 2021
- Awarded “Litigation Star” by Benchmark Litigation, 2021-2022
- Received the “Legal Innovator” award by Texas Lawyer, 2020
- Senior Fellow, Litigation Council of America, 2020
- Named “Best Lawyers in America” (appellate and commercial litigation) by Best Lawyers, 2012-2022
- Selected as “Texas Super Lawyer,” by Super Lawyers, 2003-2021 (Top 100 in DFW, 2014-2019 and Top 100 in Texas, 2015, 2017, 2019)
- Recognized as “Best Lawyers” (appellate and commercial litigation) by D Magazine in 2008-2011, 2014-2020, 2022
- Received the “Texas Trailblazers” award by Texas Lawyer, 2019
- Profiled as a "Defender," one of 15 leading defense lawyers, by the Dallas Business Journal, 2009
- Named as one of “500 Leading Litigators in America,” by Lawdragon, 2022
- Law Clerk, Hon. Patrick Higginbotham, U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit
- University of Texas School of Law, J.D., with honors, 1993
- Chief Articles Editor, Texas Law Review
- Order of the Coif
- Harvard University, B.A., cum laude, 1990
- National Policy Debate Champion, 1990