Mike Lynn is the Chairman and Founding Partner of LPHS. Over the past 27 years, he has fostered a culture of excellence, preparedness, toughness, and creativity among this elite group of business trial lawyers, whom he refers to as “the special forces of litigation.” 75% of LPHS lawyers have served as federal law clerks at the district and circuit levels, while the entire team shares an unparalleled love of law and passion for winning. So it comes as no surprise that the most prestigious legal ranking firms, Chambers and Partners, has ranked LPHS as one of the Top Five Commercial Litigation Firms for five years running.
Throughout his personal career, Mike has tried to verdict more than 120 civil and criminal jury trials and 100 non-jury, arbitration, and injunction matters. He’s been recognized as one of the “Best Lawyers in America” for the past ten years, and is the only lawyer who has garnered “Nation’s Defense Win of the Year” by the National Law Journal twice.
Recently, Mike led a team of lawyers on behalf of Energy Transfer Partners to obtain one of the largest verdicts in Dallas-Fort Worth history ($940 million). He obtained the largest settlement of a trade secret case and one of the top defamation verdicts in the region. And in 2016, he helped obtain a $146 million verdict for T. Boone Pickens’ company Mesa Petroleum, which was the largest verdict in Reeves County.
Over the last 30 years, Mike has served as Co-Chair and Council Member on a number of committees of the ABA Litigation Section. Mike presently serves as Co-Chair on the Federal Rules Task Force of the Litigation Section of the ABA. He’s an active member of the American Law Institute and is a frequent public speaker on legal topics.
Mike has taught law classes at the Dedman School of Law at Southern Methodist University, including Complex Federal Litigation, and was selected as a 2019 Dedman School Distinguished Alumni. In 2020, he authored an article, “Riding the Tsunami: Lynn Pinker Cox & Hurst Prepares for the Virus Wars,” that was published in the Texas Lawbook.
In addition to his impressive legal triumphs, Mike solo-hiked 700 miles of the Appalachian Trail in 2015 with two fully replaced knees and kept a blog cataloging his experience. He is married to the Honorable Barbara M.G. Lynn, United States Chief District Judge, Northern District of Texas, with whom he shares two children.
- Since 2014, Mike has won verdicts or obtained settlements of more than a billion dollars.
- $940,000,000 ETP v. Enterprise, 2014
- $146 million verdict in T. Boone Pickens case, 2016
- $3 million in 2017 for a Saudi Prince in addition to defeating a $7,000,000 claim
- $33 million verdict in 2017 in Env. Case
- A $25 million settlement in 2018 where he represented an operator against a private equity group.
- In 2019 Mike defeated a claim against Neiman’s by bond holders alleging fraudulent conveyance and turned the tables on the private equity group suing them on behalf of Neiman’s for defamation.
- Mike has defeated in trial over a billion dollars sought by Plaintiffs.
- Recognized as a "Best Lawyer" in Business/Commercial Litigation by D Magazine, 2012-2021, 2023
- Recognized in the inaugural Best Lawyers “Hall of Fame” by D Magazine, 2022
- Top Rated Litigator by ALM, 2020
- Top 10 Litigation Boutiques in the nation by Benchmark Litigation, 2017, 2019
- One of five Texas law firms ranked Band 1 in Chambers USA, 2017-2021
- Honored as a Band 1 “Leader in His Field” 2017-2022; Band 2 “Leader in His Field” 2012, and “Leader in His Field” 2009-2010 in Chambers & Partners USA Guide to Leading Lawyers– General Commercial Litigation (Texas) Lawyers
- Recognized as one of the “Top 100 Trial Lawyers in the U.S.” by Benchmark Litigation, 2015-2021
- Listed as a “Litigation Star” by Benchmark Litigation, 2013-2022
- Defense Lawyer of the year, Dallas Business Journal
- Nations Defense Win of the Year awarded by National Law Journal (the only lawyer we know who has garnered this recognition twice)
- Listed as one of the “500 Top Litigators in America” by Lawdragon, 2006, 2010, 2011, 2015
- Obtained the largest verdict in Dallas history, the largest in Texas and the third largest in the nation in 2014, as recognized by Verdict Search
- Obtained the largest verdict in Reeves County, Pecos, Texas, 2016
- “Best Lawyers in America,” 2012-2021; Selected “100 Best Lawyers in Texas,” 2014, 2018
- Named a “Texas Super Lawyer” consecutively since 2003, “Top 100 in Texas” 2014, 2016, 2017, 2019 “Top 100 in DFW” 2009, 2011-2012, 2014, 2016-2019
- Listed “Top Texas Verdicts” by Texas Lawyer, 2009
- Selection by the National Law Journal for the “Toughest Defense Win in US,” 1998, 2002
- National Law Journal’s “Top Defense Win,” 2002 (the only lawyer in Texas we know to have achieved this honor twice)