Over the past 20 years, John Volney has represented entrepreneurs, professionals, high-tech companies, financial institutions, real estate developers, media companies, manufacturers, and others in all types of business disputes and complex litigation in both state and federal courts in Texas.John has significant experience litigating complex commercial cases and defending class actions. He regularly prosecutes and defends breach of contract and business tort lawsuits on behalf of individuals and corporations in state and federal court and before arbitration panels. During his career, he has argued appeals before the Fifth Circuit Court of Appeals and the Dallas Court of Appeals, and he has defended cases before the Texas Supreme Court. His recent cases include the defense of an international media company from defamation claims in state court, the defense of former executives of a private healthcare company from tort claims alleged by a major health insurance carrier, and the defense of a large pipe manufacturer from product liability, negligence, and wrongful death claims in multiple venues in the state of Texas. He is currently representing an international travel and hospitality company in a multi-million-dollar dispute with its former CEO.
John received his law degree from Duke University School of Law in 1997, and his B.A. (Plan II), with high honors, from the University of Texas at Austin in 1994.
John lives in Dallas with his wife Lori and his children Sarah and Andrew.
John serves on the firm’s contingency fee committee and is willing to consider alternative fee arrangements with clients, including flat fees and contingency fees in appropriate circumstances.
- The University of Texas at Austin, B.A. (Plan II), high honors
- Duke University School of Law, J.D.
- John successfully represented a Saudi Arabian prince in a federal court jury trial in which the client obtained a judgment against an Irving-based technology company and one of its principals for more than $3 million.
- John successfully pursued and settled claims on behalf of a bankruptcy trustee against a group of Philadelphia-based mobsters and their associates arising out of the illegal takeover of a publicly-traded company.
- John defended a Dallas-based technology company in federal court against breach of contract and business tort claims brought by a former business associate.
- John successfully defended a large manufacturer of smart phones in a federal court consumer class action.
- John represented the world’s largest manufacturer of plastic and PVC pipe in multiple lawsuits in the state of Texas, including cases involving construction defects, products liability and personal injury.
- John obtained summary judgment on a multi-million dollar breach of contract claim involving a “take or pay” gas supply contract and then successfully upheld that summary judgment at the Dallas Court of Appeals.
- In addition to the above, John has advised lawyers in disciplinary and related proceedings before the State Bar of Texas and the Texas Attorney General's office.
- Mignogna v. Funimation Productions, LLC, 2022 WL 3486234 (Tex. App. – Fort Worth Aug 18, 2022)
- Al-Saud v. Youtoo Media, L.P., 754 Fed. Appx. 246 (5th Cir. 2018)
- Galitski v. Samsung Telecommunications America, LLC, 2015 WL 5319802 (N.D. Tex. Sept. 11, 2015)
- FPL Energy, LLC v. TXU Portfolio Management Co., LP, 426 S.W.3d 59 (Tex. 2014)
- Matheson Tri-Gas, Inc. v. Maxim Integrated Products, Inc., 444 S.W.3d 283 (Tex. App.–Dallas 2014)
- Rice v. Malouf, 2013 WL 3771446 (Tex. App.– Amarillo July 8, 2013)
- Abbott v. Law Office of Patrick J. Mulligan, 440 Fed. Appx. 612 (10th Cir. 2011)
- Arete Partners, L.P. v. Gunnerman, 594 F.3d 390 (5th Cir. 2010)
- AssistMed, Inc. v. Conceptual Health Solutions, Inc., 2006 WL 1489422 (N.D. Tex. May 11, 2006)
- Gunnerman v. Basic Capital Management, Inc., 2006 WL 411805 (Tex. App.–Dallas 2006, no pet.)
- Canales Martinez v. Dow Chemical Co., 219 F.Supp.2d 719 (E.D. La. July 16, 2002)
- Recognized as a "Texas Super Lawyer" by Super Lawyers, 2020-2022
- Recognized as a "Texas Rising Star" by Super Lawyers, 2005, 2007-2011