“David took charge of a litigation matter critical to our business. He developed a strategy designed to put us in the best position and I would recommend him without hesitation for any matter of substantial significance to your business.”
- Lori Browne, General Counsel, FairPay Solutions, Inc.
“Not long ago a jury in the state district court in Pecos, Texas, awarded my firm more than $140 million for the misappropriation of interests we had in a west Texas oil field. We had a great legal team that included...the firm's appellate partner David Coale.”
- T. Boone Pickens
David CoaleDownload One Page Bio
David Coale's far-reaching litigation experience supports his consistent recognition as one of the top appellate practitioners in Texas. The only known graduate of both Harvard College and Allen High School (at the time, a small town on the far northern edge of the Dallas metro area), David approaches law in a practical way that respects history and tradition. His experience includes helping win the largest verdict in Dallas County history, the defense of a payphone operator before a Tarrant County Justice of the Peace, and being fictionalized in a series of popular romance novels as the lawyer for an outlaw motorcycle gang.
- Obtained substantial affirmance of a multi-million dollar judgment in an oil-and-gas case, Stephens v. Three Finger Black Shale P’ship, No. 11-16-00177-CV (Tex. App.—Eastland Dec. 31, 2018, no pet. h.)
- Obtained affirmance of a $3.5 million judgment in favor of a Saudi prince. Al-Saud v. YouToo Media, 754 Fed. Appx. 246 (5th Cir. 2018)
- Obtained reversal of a summary judgment in a major tire-failure case. Medina v. Michelin, No. 05-16-00794-CV (Tex. App.—Dallas Jan. 29, 2018, no pet.); recognized as “Appellate Lawyer of the Week“ by Texas Lawyer for this win
- Appellate counsel for the team that won a $135 million judgment in Mesa Petroleum Partners v. Baytech LLP et al., (Reeves County, Dec. 8, 2017)
- Appellate counsel for Energy Transfer Partners in its $550 million dispute with Enterprise Products Partners.
HONORS / AWARDS
- Named to Best Lawyers in America (appellate practice and commercial litigation) in 2012-19, and as a "Texas Super Lawyer” from 2003-18 (Top 100 in D/FW, 2014-2018 and Top 100 in Texas, 2015 and 2017).
- Named to annual listings of the city’s best business lawyers in D Magazine in 2008-11 and 2014-18 (again, both appellate practice and business litigation).
- Profiled as a "Defender," one of 15 leading defense lawyers, by the Dallas Business Journal in 2009.
David is a member of the American Law Institute, a past chair of the Appellate Section of the State Bar of Texas, and a past member of the governing council of the State Bar Antitrust Section. He is board certified in civil appellate law by the Texas Board of Legal Specialization, and presently chairs the committee that oversees the certification process for that specialty in Texas. He publishes 600camp.com, a popular blog about commercial disputes before the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit, and 600commerce.com, a similar blog about the Dallas Court of Appeals.
Before joining LPCH, David was in the leadership of financial services litigation at one of the world’s largest law firms, and was previously the head of litigation at a mid-sized Dallas firm. He clerked for Judge Patrick Higginbotham of the Fifth Circuit after graduating with honors from the University of Texas School of Law and Harvard College, where he won the national college debate championship.