LPHS has litigated many of the most significant energy cases in Texas. Our experience extends to work for producers, processors, transporters, distributors and marketers of all forms of energy – oil, natural gas, coal and electricity – and for many service companies that support these activities.
- We represented Energy Transfer Partners in its epic litigation against Enterprise Products Partners alleging Enterprise’s breach of a partnership agreement. We won a judgment in Dallas state court for over $500 million, which was ultimately reversed by the Texas Supreme Court on an issue of contract law that drew 18 amicus filings from across the country. Energy Transfer Partners LP v. Enterprise Products Partners LP, 593 S.W.3d 732 (Tex. 2020).
- In state district court in Pecos, Texas, we were co-lead counsel for fabled oilman T. Boone Pickens, winning a $100 million verdict against his one-time partners in an oil and gas development project. The story of the case was captured in a recent book, “The Last Trial of T. Boone Pickens.”
- In a matter in the Pennsylvania Court of Common Pleas, we invoked force majeure to resolve a $100 million claim arising from a pipeline explosion.
- We won complete dismissal of a damages claim about the alleged failure to purchase the plaintiff’s natural gas, establishing that the claim fell within the exclusive jurisdiction of the Texas Railroad Commission.
- Our lawyers won and obtained substantial affirmance of a fiduciary duty claim arising from our clients’ legal counsel usurping a valuable oil development project for themselves. Stephens v. Three Finger Black Shale Partnership, 580 S.W.3d 687 (Tex. App.—Eastland 2019, pets. filed).