Jervonne NewsomeDownload One Page Bio
Jervonne D. Newsome represents a diverse list of clients, including top Fortune 500® companies, small businesses, corporate officers, and individuals in range of complex civil and business litigation matters such as trusts and estates, breach of fiduciary duty, breach of contract, business torts, trade secret and non-compete disputes, oil and gas, and much more.
Dubbed a “Superstar” by a United States District Court Judge during a moot court competition, Jervonne zealously advocates for her clients by focusing on the client’s specific needs and goals throughout the dispute. Jervonne’s optimistic approach, unyielding work ethic, and “outside-the-box” litigation strategy is highly esteemed among her clients and has earned her invaluable respect. When faced with complex issues, Jervonne’s ability to synthesize and create streamlined arguments yields successful results and speedy resolutions.
A native of Arkansas, Jervonne started her journey to becoming a lawyer while at Arkansas State University where she was the team captain of the moot court team before attending the University of Arkansas School of Law. After graduating amongst the top of her class from law school, Jervonne clerked for the Honorable Bobby E. Shepherd of the United States Court of Appeals for the Eighth Circuit and the Honorable Denzil Price Marshall Jr. of the United States District Court for the Eastern District of Arkansas. Jervonne’s experience at both the district and appellate courts has proved invaluable when it comes to her motion practice, appellate research and writing, oral arguments, and trial strategy with clients.
In 2016, Jervonne had the distinct honor of being asked to serve on an 8th Circuit Court of Appeals panel discussion on the topic of diversity. Jervonne, joined by one 8th Circuit appellate judge and two federal district judges, offered solutions to issues of race and gender inequality within the legal sphere.
In addition to practicing law, Jervonne serves her community as a motivational speaker for various outreach and church events where she expounds on numerous topics such as purpose, faith, and destiny. When not in court or speaking, Jervonne enjoys playing the piano.
- Obtained summary judgment on behalf Fortune 500® processing services company, reducing her client’s potential damages exposure by nearly 50 percent.
- Obtained dismissal of all claims against Fortune 500® company in the federal district court of Montana.
- Utilized creative tactical litigation methods to protect former business partner’s interest in partnership assets moved across state lines and obtained a favorable settlement on behalf of client after just two weeks of settlement discussions.
- Spearheaded initial litigation strategy in complex trust and business dispute related to the large Texas ranching operation and property owned by the trust leading to favorable settlement on behalf of trustee of multi-million trust.
- Within weeks of filing the lawsuit, successfully resolved a breach of contract dispute on behalf of a major world-wide career placement agency by obtaining a favorable settlement without the expense of traditional discovery and motion practice.
- Deposed several top executives of major sporting event companies on the west and east coasts on behalf of an online event registration company that proved instrumental in securing a dismissal of claims and settlement that saved her client from millions of dollars of litigation and damages exposure.
- Advanced strategic and cutting-edge motion practice on behalf of the founder and CEO of a major investment company in a breach of contract dispute that resulted in a favorable settlement.
- Provided innovative research and critical analysis to settlement demand proposal on behalf of an investment banking officer of a prominent banking institution in an employment discrimination dispute leading to a favorable pre-lawsuit settlement.
- Obtained order vacating default judgment on behalf of former business partner in a business dispute through inventive appellate briefing.
- Law clerk for the Honorable Bobby E. Shepherd, Circuit Judge for the United States Court of Appeals for the Eighth Circuit
- Law clerk for the Honorable Denzil Price Marshall, Jr., District Judge for the United States District Court for the Eastern District of Arkansas
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of Texas
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Texas
- U.S. District Court, Western District of Texas
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of Texas
PROFESSIONAL ASSOCIATIONS / COMMUNITY INVOLVEMENT
- Dallas Bar Association
- Dallas Association of Young Lawyers
- J.L. Turner Legal Association, Corresponding Secretary
- Patrick E. Higginbotham Inn of Court, Associate
- University of Arkansas, School of Law, Summa Cum Laude
- High Academic Achievement Award
- Charles Thomas Pearson Fellow
- James H. Mckenzie Award for Professional Responsibility and Ethics
- T.C. and Rosemary Carlson Memorial Award for Constitutional Law
- Note & Comment Editor on the Arkansas Law Review
- Teaching Assistant for Civil Procedure and Torts
- Arkansas State University, Bachelor’s Degree in Political Science and Philosophy, Cum Laude
- Top Political Science Student
- Distinguished Service Award
- Moot Court Regional Champion and Top Oral Advocate