“Highly intelligent, fearless, charismatic, and convincing. Jeremy's ability to connect with and persuade a jury is truly extraordinary. One of the best young trial lawyers in the state.”
- Tonja DeSloover, Associate General Counsel and Head of Litigation, Energy Transfer Partners
Jeremy FieldingDownload One Page Bio
Jeremy Fielding specializes in complex commercial litigation and trials, trying cases in state and federal courts and arbitrations across the country. Known for his energy, creativity, relentlessness, and extraordinary ability to connect with and persuade a jury, Jeremy has been recognized as one of the top trial lawyers in Texas by Super Lawyers, Benchmark Litigation, Chambers and Partners, and D Magazine.
Jeremy has represented both plaintiffs and defendants in litigation disputes of all kinds, ranging from complex business and energy litigation to intellectual property disputes. But he has especially distinguished himself in his representation of plaintiffs in large, bet-the-company commercial cases, obtaining numerous multi-million-dollar jury verdicts and settlements for his clients. These victories include a multi-hundred-million-dollar jury verdict in favor of his client, Energy Transfer Partners, in stolen partnership opportunity case, following a five-week trial. Ultimately, this verdict – one of the largest in the United States in 2014 – culminated in the largest civil judgment in Dallas County history. They also include:
- A $30 plus million-dollar judgement in favor of his clients following a three-week fraud trial involving the purchase of an oil waste disposal facility.
- Following a two-week jury trial, a $25 million morning-of-closing-argument settlement in favor of his clients in an oil-and-gas partnership dispute.
- An eve-of-trial settlement valued in excess of $90M in a fraudulent transfer adversary proceeding filed in bankruptcy court against the owners of a defunct real estate development company.
- Represented three executives in suits against a former employer involving equity options worth in excess of $60 million. The cases settled before trial for a confidential amount.
- A $10+ million settlement in a theft of trade secrets case involving his steel products distribution company client.
- A $7.3 million judgment in favor of his oil services company client in a breach of contract claim.
Jeremy’s trial successes aren’t limited to his representation of plaintiffs. He has also successfully defended numerous companies and individuals in a variety of bet-the-company, multi-million cases, including:
- After a two-week trial, a jury finding that his client, FPL Energy’s $2 billion Horse Hollow Wind Facility was not a nuisance, then sustained that verdict on appeal.
- After a two-week trial, a jury finding and judgement in favor of his client – a beverage technology company accused of breach of fiduciary duty.
- A take-nothing judgment in a two-week arbitration in which his client was accused of fraud in connection with a $7 million sale of his medical imaging business.
- On behalf of his real estate development client, Red Development, won an injunction fight involving an adjacent landowner to enjoin the construction of a $300 million mixed use development known as “The Union” in Uptown Dallas.
Jeremy also has a burgeoning First Amendment practice, challenging unconstitutional restrictions on door-to-door solicitation on behalf of some the nation’s largest pest control companies. In February 2018, following a four-day bench trial, he obtained a judgment from a Colorado federal court invalidating the town of Castle Rock, Colorado’s 7pm solicitation curfew as unconstitutional. His litigation on behalf of his pest control clients has resulted in hundreds of towns repealing or amending the unconstitutional aspects of their existing solicitation ordinances.
HONORS / AWARDS
- Recognized by his peers in D Magazine as one of the “Best Lawyers in Dallas,” 2016 - 2017
- Listed as a “Litigation Star” by Benchmark Litigation, 2015 - 2018
- Honored as an "Up-and-Coming” lawyer in Chambers & Partners’ Chambers USA Guide to Leading Lawyers – General Commercial Litigation (Texas), 2017-2018
- Listed as a "Texas Super Lawyer” by Thomson Reuters 2016-2018
EDUCATION AND BACKGROUND
Jeremy received his B.A. from Brigham Young University, taking two years off to serve as missionary in East Africa, where he learned fluent Swahili. He then earned his J.D. from Harvard Law School, where he was the Executive Editor of The Harvard Journal of Law and Public Policy. Before joining the firm in 2005, Jeremy worked as a law clerk to the Honorable E. Grady Jolly of the Fifth Circuit Court of Appeals and practiced law in the Dallas office of Baker Botts. He is married to Laura Lanning Fielding and they are the proud (but often frazzled) parents of four sons and one daughter.